Wednesday, July 28, 2010

1 week!

Yesterday was one week since I have been banded!  Things are getting better everyday.  I am still a little tender and yesterday I did WAY to much, like gave my big beast of a dog a bath and I payed for it last night and today.  I took it WAY easier today.  I had my post-op appt this morning and all is good.  I am now on full liquids and tolerating that great!  I met with the nutritionist today and I still can't figure out how they expect a person to get 60gms protein a day when the only want you to eat 1/2 cup three times a day.  Even if you eat really high protein foods, with only half a cup it seems nearly impossible without adding in a protein shake here and there.  They said I could have protein shakes now, but as I progress I need to phase them out.  I still say if I need the protein I will have one.  The protein powder I use is only 100 calories per scoop and no carbs or sugars.  What do you all do?  Well, that's about it, pretty uneventful around here.   Well one more thing....I am down 10 pounds since surgery so that is 20 pounds total!!  The doc did warn me that I may gain some back as I add more food, but thats okay.  They told me my first fill in 6 weeks will be 6cc!!  So exciting! Toodles

7 comments:

-Grace- said...

I don't know what sorts of foods you are able to eat right now, but here are some protein-rich foods that I ate at the beginning during my mushie/soft foods phase:

-Refried beans (I found some yummy, fat free ones and they are super good with some sour cream {also has protein}, salsa, shredded cheese, and even avocado. It tasted like the insides of a burrito!)

-Cottage cheese

-Ricotta cheese (mixed with some marinara sauce and topped with some parmesan cheese)

-Greek yogurt

-Peanut butter (but it can be high in calories)

Once you can eat solids (not sure if you can yet) it'll be surprisingly easy to get your 60g of protein in even without shakes! I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, egg salad. Or just a tortilla with smoked turkey and cheese. E-mail me if you wanna chat more! graces.fat.chance@gmail.com

VS said...

i'm with grace...i know it seems as though it will be impossible to get your protein in, but once you're on FULL solids and a regular routine you will be able to do it. fish, chicken, soy products, turkey, eggs, BEANS, low fat dairy...there really are a lot of choices.

on a side note: i know this may seem crazy b/c of MOST people's no-snack policy, but my nutritionist has me eating up to 3 meals and 2 snacks a day...are you not schedule a snack? you can get 12g from greek yogurt or 8 from a stick of cheese....the protein really adds up fast once you're looking for it.

i have to get between 77-84 and i manage my protein just about every day and i am only drinking protein shakes on days that i know i'm in a rush (i drink the ready made premier nutrition w/130cal and 30g protein) and won't be able to eat 'til late.

Sumer said...

Thanks so much Grace! I will DEFINETLY email you when I start progressing in my diet. Right now I am on full liquids till Tuesday and then its purees for 2 weeks then soft for 3, then normal.

V- Good to know. I guess I will learn the ropes as it goes. NO, my surgeon says NO NO NO snacks, only 1/2 cup three times a day. I say, if I need a snack, I will have one, a healthy one. I am hoping that when I reach my sweet spot I won't need one. We will see.

Janelle said...

I've never had a certain amount of protein that they wanted me to get, they just said eat protein first, then the other stuff on your plate. If you stick with healthy foods and have some protein in there, you will be fine. Remember, there is protein in beans and veggies, too, so you may get more than you think. No need to obsess, just eat healthy and you will be fine.

Kate and Ella said...

I am in the same place. I am drinking Isopure throughout the day. It has 40 gramps of protein for 130 calories. I don't have to go to only 3 meals a day until I am on purees. While on full liquids I can have snacks.

Mel said...

It is interesting to see the various "rules" that people are given by their surgeon's. I go in on Tuesday to get my band, and now I need to make sure I get a clear outline of what I need the next 2 weeks. Congrats on making it to the one week point and the 20 pounds! That is wonderful!

Bonnie said...

You are doing great. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself about getting in the protein at this point. It will get a lot easier once you get to the mushy stage and even easier as you progress. Chobani greek yogurt with fruit is a great source of protein and tastes great.